Mayor Ryan "Todd" Weihofen
- Painting exterior or interior walls - Installing a new floor covering
- Carpet Installation - Replacing a faucet or vanity
You must provide a written detailed narrative of the scope of work to be performed.
Inspections are required in every phase of construction to ensure proper installation of material as directed on your architectural plans. A list of required inspections is given to the applicant when the permit is issued. Inspections of existing structures are just as important and required. Inspections are required for everyone so structures will be erected correctly and safely. It’s the responsibility of the owner/agent to ensure that all inspections are completed, approved and the permit is closed out once the final inspection occurs.
To schedule all required inspections contact the Village Hall at (815) 385-1117 at least 24 hours before an inspection is needed to make an appointment. Inspections are only performed Mondays-Wednesdays-Fridays, excluding holidays. Inspections are performed by a contractor of the Village, B&F Technical Code Services.
- Building or replacing a deck or shed
- Adding a fireplace
- Remodeling basements, kitchens & baths
- Replacing an electric stove with a gas model
- Adding or altering the electrical system
- Windows or Doors
- Solar Panels (different codes apply)
Building Permit Coordinator
Our knowledgeable and dedicated staff is committed to serving you. Should you have questions or concerns relating Rental Inspection Program, feel free to contact the Building Department to assist you with your concern.
No dumpster, roll-off container, or temporary storage unit used in conjunction with construction, demolition, renovation, relocation, or related activity, shall be placed upon any property or within the public right of way of the abutting street without a permit therefor issued by the Village of Lakemoor.
The Building Department is here to aid you in expediting your project, reviewing your plans, issuing permits, and conducting follow up and final inspections on projects. We also work very closely with the Fire Marshal of the Wauconda, Fox Lake and McHenry Township Fire Departments. A building permit application is the beginning point of your project to be reviewed by the proper departments for approval. Most permits are valid for six months and will need to be renewed if a certificate of occupancy has not been issued. We are always available to answer any questions or concerns you may have during this process.
2011 National Electrical Code*with amendments
2018 International Energy Conservation Code (Effective January 1, 2019)
The Village of Lakemoor requires permits for all commercial and residential building structures, free-standing structures (such as; a fence, shed, garage or pool), or major changes to the living area of a home; as defined in the Village code. The permit process ensures that minimum safety standards are met and that construction meets local building and zoning requirements. Make sure that you understand all building codes and local ordinances before proceeding with a major improvement project. Please visit the Village Hall or our website for more forms and helpful information.
If you plan on building a shed, a fence, changing a culvert, altering the land, demolition of a building, an addition, etc., and fall into a flood zone, are near a wetland, or are just unsure, please contact your respective counties Stormwater Management Department as a permit cannot be issued without their permit first, or authorization stating you do not need a permit. (Lake County Residents) (McHenry County Residents)
Once the permit is approved, the applicant will be called and told it is ready to be picked up. The permit can be picked up from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Village Hall, at that time all permit fees must be paid. The permit expiration will be listed on the permit, which must be displayed during the entire length of the project.
Yes, you need a building permit for the following residential projects (This list is not all-inclusive. Please contact the Building Department with any specific questions).
If a contractor is being hired to perform the work on a project, it is advisable that certain precautions are taken prior to signing a contract or work agreement. The precautions listed are recommended and not limited to:
- Check at least three references of the contractor’s work, preferably work you can see and verify that the contractor actually performed the work. If possible, request to speak with the owner of the property where the work was performed to ask about the project and their working relationship and experience with the contractor.
- Verify that the contractor has adequate insurance coverage specific to the proposed work to be performed (i.e. but not limited to, Products-Completed Operations, Contractual Liability, Underground Hazard Coverage, Personal Injury, Explosion Hazard Coverage, Collapse Hazard Coverage, Workers Compensation and Employer’s Liability, Bodily Injury and Property Damage).
- Verify that the contractor is licensed to perform the proposed work (i.e. roofing, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, alarm installer, etc.).
- Verify who will be responsible for obtaining the required permits.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for any information or history on the contractor. Contact the BBB at 1-312-346-3313.Type your paragraph here.
No, you do not usually need a building permit for the following residential projects:
- Constructing or replacing a driveway
- Building or replacing a fence
- Replacing an air conditioning and/or heating unit or water heater
- Installing a pool or hot tub
- Constructing a garage
- Roofing/Re-roof (*dumpster permit is a separate permit)
28581 Illinois Route 120
Lakemoor IL 60051
Copyright 2019 © The Village of Lakemoor ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Public Works Department
333 Wegner Road
Lakemoor IL 60051
28581 Illinois Route 120 Lakemoor IL 60051
Community & Economic Development
28581 Illinois Route 120
Lakemoor IL 60051